Sometimes the constant stream of information and conversation from our Social Media is overwhelming. Where should you focus your efforts and how do you control it all? We have made a discovery that has helped so much with Twitter engagement and organization and has also helped us to grow our blog…TWITTER LISTS!
WHAT IS A TWITTER LIST?
The way that using Twitter Lists works is this: You create a list for each group of people that you connect with. Add their Twitter handles to this list and give the list a title. You can then communicate with the people in each list by tweeting about whatever subject matter you have in common.
For example, we love the SITS Blogging chat that takes place every Saturday morning. We created a list with the names of all the people that we enjoy tweeting with during those chats. We tweet to each other, ask questions, make comments, retweet each other. That way there is no searching through all of the names to find them. They are right there on the list. Simple!
We have made lists with several different groups of people. We have “Encouragers” and “People who Inspire,” “Influencers” and “People to Watch.” The possibilities are endless.
Your Twitter Lists can be made public or private. And you do not have to be a follower of a person to add them. In fact, if your list is private, they will never know that you added them to a list! If your list is public, they will get a notification that they were added to your list and they can then subscribe to your public lists if they choose to.
HOW TO CREATE A TWITTER LIST:
1. Click on the little square gravatar (your photo) in the upper right corner of your Twitter page.
2. Choose Lists from the drop-down menu.
3. This will take you to a new page where in the right column you click on Create new list.
4. Give your list a name and choose Public or Private, then save list.
5. Now you will add members by typing in their Twitter handle or by clicking on your Followers.
You can also add someone to your list by going to their Twitter page and clicking the gear icon which is beside their follow/unfollow button. There you will have the option of adding them or removing them from your list.
Another thing to consider is this: If you can so easily add others to your lists, then it is also easy for them to add YOU to their lists.
You can see which lists you have been added to, as long as the lists are Public. You cannot see what Private lists you have been added to.
HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT PUBLIC TWITTER LISTS YOU ARE ON:
1. Go to the main Twitter page and click on the gravatar (your picture).
2. Scroll down to Lists. This will take you to a new page.
3. In the center of the page you will see all of your lists, and above those lists it will say “Subscribed to” and “Member Of.”
4. Click on Member of and you will see all of the lists that other people have added you to. This can really give you insight into what impression you are giving as a blogger.
USING TWITTER LISTS WILL HELP YOU TO GROW YOUR BLOG!
It is important not to feel overwhelmed by your Social Media platforms. The simpler it seems, the more smoothly it will go. Having a strategy in place to keep your Social Media organized will help you to engage efficiently with your audience and the results will be more visitors to your blog.